A mass evacuation took place at the Jet Centre in Coleraine after a fire broke out during the screening of the new Hollywood blockbuster Dunkirk.
A speaker was thought to have short-circuited and caught fire during the screening of the epic on Tuesday evening.
Fire Service Coleraine group commander Andy Sinclair said the incident was “minor” and the fire had burnt out by the time they arrived. They stayed in the building for around 90 minutes to ensure the fire had not spread.
The Jet Centre said it would reopen on Wednesday as normal and advised any customers to retain tickets and contact the centre if their entertainment was disrupted.
“This turned out not to be a serious incident but we are delighted by the quick response of our staff and the care taken to ensure the safety of our customers,” said Jet Centre owner Michael McAdam.
“Our procedures were followed to the letter by our staff and by the time the fire brigade arrived, everyone was out of the building.”
Dunkirk tells the story of the evacuation of Allied troops during a attempt to invade Nazi-occupied France in 1940.
Unfortunately Jet Centre has had to close early tonight, but we will reopen as normal tomorrow. We’d ask that anyone…
Posted by Jet Centre on Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Belfast Telegraph Digital