2nd Street Market
in downtown Dayton isn’t normally open on Wednesdays, but its vendors happily (well, mostly) make one momentous exception to the rule on “Stock-up Wednesday” the day before Thanksgiving.
The market, operated by Five River MetroParks at 600 E. Second St., is still a bit of a hidden gem of sorts. Its attendance on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays has been growing slowly in recent years, and it will add Sunday hours in 2018. But given the vast array of artisan food purveyors and craft specialist under one roof, the market still feels a bit under-appreciated.
Thanksgiving week is a chance to change that.
Shoppers can get quite literally everything they need for Thanksgiving dinner at the 2nd Street Market — a whole turkey, the makings for side dishes, breads, desserts (Oh LORD the desserts), and the decorations for the table and home.
In some cases, folks are going to want to, or need to, place their orders ahead of time for some specialty items. This week and weekend — Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. — offer ample opportunity to explore and place orders. Then on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the market will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the purposes of stocking up for Thanksgiving. On the holiday itself on Nov. 23, the market will, of course, be closed.
We Ohioans seem to have the mistaken impression — and I’ve fallen into this trap myself — of thinking that fresh produce disappears with the first frost. That is NOT the case, and Emily Jackle, co-owner of Mile Creek Farm in New Lebanon, assured me she’d have about 20 vegetables for sale from her organic farm on Stock-up Wednesday.
They include — take a deep breath here — kale, Swiss chard, arugula, Brussels Sprouts, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, rutabaga and onions, for starters.
And here’s an inside tip from Emily: “The carrots are very, very sweet, because they’ve had a couple of frosts at night, and that just makes them sweeter.”
A full list of the market’s vendors is available on the MetroParks 2nd Street Market web site, but here’s a taste of what visitors will find at the market and could use for Thanksgiving dinner and beyond.
• Azra’s Mediterranean Cuisine & Desserts accommodates special orders for a variety of dishes and desserts
• Rahn’s Artisan Breads offers fresh bread, dinner rolls and pastries
• Big Sky Bread Co. offers bread and sweet breads
• Garber Farms sells homemade pies, dinner rolls and fresh produce
• KJB Farms offers Bowman & Landes Free Range Turkeys, and various pork and chicken products
• Kolb’s Specialty Bakery offers homemade Pies & Pastries
• Desserts by Ann K. offers Homemade Pies & Desserts
• Hydro-Growers, Homefull, Dayton Urban Green, and Mile Creek Farms sell fresh produce, much of it local
• Spice Rack & Bulk Foods sells pantry and baking needs, and noodles
• The Flowerman sells cut flowers and arrangements
• Consider the Lilies can create fresh holiday wreaths
To contact the market, email email@example.com or call (937) 228-2088.